[okfn-discuss] The Guardian government data debate on Apr 25 - with ao. OKF's Rufus Pollock

Alan Hudson alan.hudson at one.org
Wed Apr 3 07:46:38 UTC 2013

Because an all-male panel gives the impression that the open government field is totally dominated by men.

By giving that impression, the panel may put off women who are in the field, or are thinking of joining the field.

And that will result in the field remaining male-dominated.

And that means that the field lacks this aspect of diversity and different perspectives. Concretely, I suspect it contributes to open government being conflated with open data, which is a serious problem here in the UK.

And it's unfair.

Seriously, 100% men on a panel of 5 is VERY bad. Not really very open.

If I were asked to be on a panel of 5 men, I think I'd say no. If I found out after accepting that I were on a panel of 5 men, I'd definitely be in touch with the organisers to see if they could rectify things.

Hopefully, that's already happening?

Alan Hudson - @alanhudson1
Policy Director (Transparency & Accountability), ONE