[okfn-discuss] The Guardian government data debate on Apr 25 - with ao. OKF's Rufus Pollock

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Wed Apr 3 08:24:51 UTC 2013

Alan,

Great points! Can we get something like:
http://netzfeminismus.org/?page_id=114 for the Open Gov field? I do think
the diversity on panels is a circular issue. (Ever noted that if you're on
panels, you get invited to more and more and more (until you could do that
all day?))

Someone wants to take this on?

Michael

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 02:46:38AM -0500, Alan Hudson wrote:
> Because an all-male panel gives the impression that the open government field is totally dominated by men.
>
> By giving that impression, the panel may put off women who are in the field, or are thinking of joining the field.
>
> And that will result in the field remaining male-dominated.
>
> And that means that the field lacks this aspect of diversity and different perspectives. Concretely, I suspect it contributes to open government being conflated with open data, which is a serious problem here in the UK.
>
> And it's unfair.
>
> Seriously, 100% men on a panel of 5 is VERY bad. Not really very open.
>
> If I were asked to be on a panel of 5 men, I think I'd say no. If I found out after accepting that I were on a panel of 5 men, I'd definitely be in touch with the organisers to see if they could rectify things.
>
> Hopefully, that's already happening?
>
> Alan Hudson - @alanhudson1
> Policy Director (Transparency & Accountability), ONE

Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr