[okfn-discuss] Fwd: New hub for Free Culture in the works: Snowdrift.coop

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 18:22:02 UTC 2013

Greetings everyone!

I'd like to more formally announce the major project I've been working on
since last year.

Snowdrift.coop <https://snowdrift.coop> is an ambitious project to
revolutionize Free Culture.

I made announcements last year when things were just getting going. We had
some interesting discussion but there was a lot of confusion about what we
were proposing. Lots of work has happened since then, and we are now in the
process of more publicly publishing things, and we have clarified the
system greatly.

An overview: we start with the central idea of a novel assurance system to
facilitate the worldwide community better funding Free Cultural Works and
related projects. To that, we are adding engagement systems for wikis,
discussions, tickets/suggestions, and more to provide holistic support for
Free Culture projects.

We are in the process of legal filing but intend to be a full 501(c)(3)
non-profit *and* run as a member-owned cooperative!

We are doing everything 100% Free wherever possible. We prohibit non-free
licenses for projects, we are AGPL and CC-BY-SA, the whole site will
function with NoScript and otherwise use only Free JS.

As of just the last couple weeks, we have published a new clear homepage
and updated About pages. We also have many drafts of additional details and
plans that are not yet published (but will be very soon). Anyone is free to
ask me for an invitation to access the unpublished content in order to
learn more or get involved.

Our goal right now is to AVOID attention from anyone opposed to Free
Culture. We are going more and more public, but I want to build a community
based in the most dedicated Free Culture supporters and grow from there.

If you want to help us succeed, please contact me and we'll talk about how
you can help!

Feel free also to spread the word to others who you think might volunteer
to help us (but not to those who would be critical of Free Culture, we
aren't functional yet, so no need to reach out to the general public until
we've first made ourselves known within this community).

All constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. Let me know any questions.

Thanks everyone!

-Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf