[okfn-discuss] History of the Open Knowledge Foundation

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 1 12:47:23 UTC 2013

This is important.

Memory fades quickly. I was on the Advisory board since the start (ca 2004
- can't even remember the year). I was going to record 5 mins of my
recollections for the first Cambridge OKFN Open Science meetup last month -
and brought my camera - but there was too much to do.

I plan  to do it anyway and I think it would be an excellent idea to try to
capture the facts and the excitement of 2005 onwards. Since most of the
early years are UK, we should probably have a rememberthon at C4C - is
there a Christmas party??

P.

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Lane Rasberry <lane at bluerasberry.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have looked a bit and been unable to find anything which covers the
> scope of the history. I think that the compilation has never been made.
> Wikipedia would be an ideal venue for building this out because it is a
> place where different people can work independently to add what parts of
> the story they know.
>
> A difficulty with Wikipedia is that the story there must be told by
> summarizing and citing whatever is already published by third parties, and
> should exclude whatever the Open Knowledge Foundation has said about itself.
>
> I also want this article filled out soon. If anyone has sources that tell
> any part of the story, then please share. If anyone wants to join in
> writing this on Wikipedia, then let me know and I can meet you there. I can
> also give Wikipedia training to anyone who wants it.
>
> Thanks,
>

> On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <
> everton.alvarenga at okfn.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is there any place I can find the history of the Open Knowledge
>> Foundation? I just know Rufus was one of the co-founders (who were the
>> others?) and what is written here
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Knowledge_Foundation
>>
>> Since next year the OKF will be 10 years old, it would be great to have
>> such kind of information for we understand the roots of our expanding
>> network and celebrate it.
>>
>> Maybe Rufus and Jonathan (others?), copied here, could tell us about it?
>>
>> It'd be great to know who started to write the open definition and why,
>> the origin of CKAN, some initial ideas that were dropped out in the last
>> 10 years, the reason someone thought it was necessary to create an
>> organization that promotes open knowledge in its all forms and her or his
>> main motivations etc.. There are a lot of other things I am sure several
>> people would like to know. :)
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> --
>> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
>> OKF Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
>> http://br.okfn.org

> Lane Rasberry
> user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
> 206.801.0814