[okfn-discuss] Hello World, Hello Africa, Hello East Africa!

Heather Leson heather.leson at okfn.org
Mon Dec 30 16:28:46 UTC 2013

Welcome Yulli!

Our School of Data team has been doing some work in Tanzania[1] that may be
of interest. As for other open community activity, a friend of mine is
doing Ubuntu training [2]. The Open Institute (based in Nairobi) has been
doing some great work in East Africa. [3]. You may also be interested in
the Open Data Research's project with ihub Research from Nairobi [4]

Do keep us posted on your progress and ask many questions on list. Someone
is sure to know the answers.

[1]
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/12/06/a-deep-dive-into-fuzzy-matching-in-tanzania/
[2] http://www.slideshare.net/greencomputing1/day-6-ubuntu-boot-camp
[3] http://openinstitute.com/
[4] http://www.opendataresearch.org/project/2013/ihub

Heather

On 24 December 2013 00:18, Nurunnaby Chowdhury <nh at nhasive.com> wrote:

> Congratulation & Welcome Yulli Jeremia..
>
> --
> Nurunnaby Chowdhury
> Ambassador, OKFN Bangladesh
>

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM, Yulli Jeremia <jeremiayulli at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear all open knowledge community members! I am writing to introduce
>> myself as Yulli Jeremia from Tanzania. I have just joined the open
>> knowledge community. I am enthusiastic for spreading open data ideals in my
>> society and anywhere in the globe. I would kindly request your guidance
>> through different initiatives as I set to get fully involved. Besides, I
>> feel that joining this community is one of my greatest accomplishments for
>> the year 2013 and one of my biggest endeavor in 2014.
>>
>> I am planning to initiate a series of local meet ups which I hope will
>> bear a local group and other forms of engagement. As far as I know, open
>> data/knowledge engagements are in-existent in my country. Is there anyone
>> around -in Tanzania or East Africa- involved or interested in such
>> endeavor? I would like to hear from you so that we can join forces!
>>
>> I wish you all Merry XMas and glorious new year 2014!

> *Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive*
> Administrator | Bangla Wikipedia<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
> Blog Editor | Prothom-Alo Blog <http://blog.prothom-alo.com>
> Assignment Reporter | The Daily Prothom-Alo <http://www.prothom-alo.com>
> Bangladesh Ambassador | Open Knowledge Foundation Network
> <http://www.okfn.org>
> Treasurer | Bangladesh Open Source Network (BdOSN) <http://www.bdosn.org>
> fb.com/nhasive | @nhasive <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype:
> nhasive | www.nhasive.com

Heather Leson, Community Engagement Director

Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>*, Empowering through Open
Knowledge*

IRC/skype: heatherleson  | @heatherleson <https://twitter.com/heatherleson>
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on