[okfn-discuss] Goodbye Aaron Swartz – and Long Live Your Legacy

Yan Zhu zyan at mit.edu
Mon Jan 14 20:33:23 UTC 2013

Hi all, I'm in the process of organizing a series of hackathons in tribute
to Aaron. The idea is to bring together people at hackerspaces around the
world to work on projects that in some way continue the work that Aaron did
to facilitate the sharing of human knowledge, social/political justice, and
free culture.

So far, there will be one at Noisebridge in SF and one somewhere in Boston,
tentatively scheduled for the 26th. If anyone here wants to organize ones
in other cities, let me know.

Anyone have ideas for projects that we can work on? I'm getting in touch
with Aaron's last employer to see if we can finish some of the work that he
was doing. Perhaps we can encourage people to contribute to some of the
projects at http://okfnlabs.org/ too.

I plan to give a workshop on open science at Noisebridge. There are tons of
other topics that I'd encourage people to teach as well.

-Yan

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just to let you know I've recently posted a piece in remembrance of Aaron
>> Swartz on the OKFN blog:
>>

>> http://blog.okfn.org/2013/01/14/goodbye-aaron-swartz-and-long-live-your-legacy/
>>

> Thank you very much for this. I'm glad you knew him. I didn't and I have
> to know him through other people. Like you.
>
> For me the guerrilla manifesto expresses his anger at the present system
> and the necessity to change it. We all know that throughout history
> progress has often been made by actions that are formally illegal. People
> who are ahead-of-their-time often fall foul of laws and I suspect this is
> true here.
>
> I hope to blog something and your material is critical.
>
> P.
>

> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics