[okfn-discuss] list of all open knowledge/data organizations, wikipedia

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga at okfn.org
Sun Jul 7 17:47:54 UTC 2013

We could organize a page to improve these articles - maybe a
WikiProject. Yes, all these articles are totally a mess.

Regarding organizations, there is this template box

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Open_navbox

We can expand it.

At the Portuguese Wikipedia I've started a Free Culture WikiProject
<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Projetos/Cultura_livre> a
few years ago, but it is anactive (and with this awful design). It'd
be better to organize all this in the English Wikipedia and then
translate them.

Although for translating there will be some controversies, like the
use of the word "open" (aberto, in Portuguese) or "free" (livre, in
Portuguese). Regarding knowledge, I think the term "free" suits better
the comprehension and I use in some cases, like "conhecimento livre"
for "open knowledge", instead of "conhecimento aberto". But some term
we continue using "open" ("ciência aberta", "recursos educacionais
abertos", "dados abertos" etc.) because it is what people are already
used to.

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre