[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 05:18:59 UTC 2013

Gene, you're mistaken. Free Software is NOT simply free to use. "Free
Software" as defined by the Free Software Definition a la the Free Software
Foundation is free to use, modify, and to share. If any of those freedoms
are missing, it is non-free. Thus, source MUST be open or there is no way
to freely modify. All Free Software is Open Source. The terms only describe
a different set of values, regarding whether the focus is freedom or is the
development process.

Of course, you may be using "free software" to mean "gratis software" and
then even the use may be restricted in some ways but it is free *of charge*.
This is the essence of the problem with these words. And it is why, in my
opinion, we cannot stick to "free" as the only term. It has nothing to do
with the philosophical issues, it is simply the case that "free" on its own
is hopelessly and forever confusing to most people in most contexts related
to software freedom.

Anyway, I've finally looked at this. My overall feeling is that it belongs
on a wiki instead of an Etherpad. It should should be an effort to
incorporate this into Wikipedia.

Otherwise, I've already been working on similar stuff myself. See
https://snowdrift.coop/w/free-libre-open

I strongly support this overall movement to embrace the broad acronym FLO
as the main unambiguous term. We're running with that at Snowdrift.coop,
and we also have a glossary in progress. Our pages are in fact wiki pages
already but our wiki system isn't quite ready for real public use yet due
to some technical work yet to do and the need for formal terms of use.
We're getting there. Anyone who wants to help, please let me know.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf