[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Gene Shackman eval_gene at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 04:25:29 UTC 2013

If the intent of this document is to have something that the general public can read to better understand open and free, I'd start it differently, with a brief intro at the beginning to explain what this is all about. Something like:

(title) What is free or open knowledge?

There are a whole lot of things on the web, like software, papers, reports, data, artworks, etc, that are "free" to use, or "open" knowledge. There are a whole lot of other terms used to describe free or open knowledge, such as "permissive", "copyleft", "libre", "FLO" and "FLOSS". This glossary explains what all those terms mean, and also explains what you need to know to understand appropriate use of "open" or "free" knowledge.

Also, just to comment "However, most of the terms are synonymous (free software and open source software)". Free software is not really synonymous with open source software. Free software is software that is free to use, regardless of whether it is open source or not. There is plenty of free to use software that is not open source.

Thanks

Gene