[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 05:28:52 UTC 2013

Thanks for all the responses, folks.

Some people pointed out the irony of hosting a work about FLO on a non-FLO
service (Google Docs). I hadn't heard of the Open Knowledge Pad before this
thread, and was happy to transfer the document over to it.

However, as a general principle, I don't think it's contradictory or
hypocritical to use non-FLO carriers provided a FLO alternative is provided
(as there was with the ODT file attached to the original post). After all,
the document itself was typed on a non-FLO Windows computer (I'm using a
public computer room) and sent via the non-FLO Gmail!

*Benjamin: *I was interested to hear you say that Etherpad is 'more
efficient' than Google Drive. What do you mean by that?

*Gene:* I am planning to make the document publicly available, although I
haven't figured out what form I want it in. Any suggestions?

It's also a bit of a warm up for my planned re-write of Share This Book <
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/share-this-book/>, which never quite
accomplished what I wanted.

I'll make sure to discuss the 'free' ambiguity in more depth, and earlier
in the article.

*Karl: *Good point about the answer to the free software question not being
particularly clear. I'll add some more details.

Thanks for linking to the FSF page on IP. I vaguely remember it but it was
good to re-read and – as usual – the great man talks sense.

I'm wary of not mentioning IP at all or only warning against it, since this
is intended as a glossary (albeit a dogmatic and non-alphabetical one). I
do think IP is a coherent (albeit wrongly named) category in the sense that
there are criteria that are satisfied by those within the category and not
satisfied by those outside the category (specifically, all forms of IP are
(a) de jure monopolies on (b) non-rivalrous intangibles). Of course, the
criticism that it is – for most purposes – an overbroad category is a fair
one.

At the very least, though, I'll add in a section on Copyright separate to
the IP one, and link to the Stallman article.

*Aaron: *Thanks for your response, Aaron – and it was good to read your
work on Snowdrift. I don't imagine the glossary will stay on the Etherpad
forever. A wiki could be a good spot for a living version of the document,
but I would like to 'fix' it in a downloadable document as well.

*stef: *In terms of what the purpose of the exercise is, it's to define and
elaborate upon terms that are often confused or blurred by the public. I'm
not redefining them, I'm using the existing definitions.

And as mentioned, it's now available on a free, libre and open platform.

It's a good point that the ideological context of open source and free
software should be addressed. I'll include that in the next redraft. Thanks
also for the link to open standards; I'll link to that or at least draw
upon it in a redraft. And I spent about an hour reading that Baffler
article, but it was worth it.

*Rob: *FLOC works - or FLOCC ('free, libre and open cultural content') or
even FLOCK ('free, libre and open cultural knowledge', to really mix free
cultural works and open knowledge - are all good terms.

*Using 'libre' as a standard or neutral term*

Thanks everyone who contributed to the discussion on whether FLO or libre
could serve as the neutral or standard term. One thing that gives me pause
is that some free activists - I'm thinking of Kim Tucker in particular -
have used libre as a non-ambiguous but no less ideological synonym for
'free'. In other words, it is still used to emphasise the ethical side of
FLO in contrast to the pragmatic term 'open'.

However, my personal preference remains using 'libre' as the neutral or
standard term - as you can see from my blog and on the FOSsil Bank wiki!

And as Aaron says, settling on libre isn't a substitute for clearly
defining 'free' and 'open' as well, because the terms 'free' and 'open'
will still remain in public and community use.

*'Ransom method'*

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll use 'threshold pledge system' as the
general term, and then suggest street performer protocol, ransom publishing
model, copyright buy-out, compensation and patronage as
synonyms/subcategories of it.

---

Thanks for all the help,

Chris