[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Fri Jul 12 08:14:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 08:53:26AM +0100, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> I like FLO. In "Open Access" the terms "Open" and "Libre" have been so
> badly treated that they are simply political and marketing symbols. "Libre"
> is "gratis open access plus some additional usage rights" (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access).

let me rephrase that for your convenience in the context of free software:

"open is libre deliberately avoiding the ethical and moral values associated
with it." although i have no "authoritative" wikipedia url for this.

open access is a subset of the discussion, just as free software and open
source software are, or the discussion around open standards. "open" is a
industry buzzword diluted to commercial interest. even the industry opposing
open access movement you refer to weakens it with its shenanigans around green
and gold access models.

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF