[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 07:53:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Chris Sakkas <sanglorian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've updated: http://okfnpad.org/UEVd4jV2cB
>
> Including a one-page summary, more discussion about what the free in free
> software/culture means and changes to the definition of intellectual
> property and 'fund and release'.
>
> *Samuel: *I tend to agree. I think libre or FLO (or, perhaps, FLOW) are
> ideal terms.

I like FLO. In "Open Access" the terms "Open" and "Libre" have been so
badly treated that they are simply political and marketing symbols. "Libre"
is "gratis open access plus some additional usage rights" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access). This means that CC-NC-ND can be
described as "Libre" - perhaps the "additional right" is the right to put
it in a repository. The only term which is meaningfully implementable is
the Budapest declaration of Open Access (BOAI).  Both the proponents of
non-BOAI OA and many publishers therefore label material as "Open Access"
when the users and authors have very few - almost zero - rights and these
are never formalised.

I think that any English word will be devalued in this area and I would
strongly support the use of FLO rather than Libre. It's clear it has a
precise, immutable,  definition.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics