[okfn-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:16:31 UTC 2013

Hi Gene,

It's common for the work to be available in both gratis and for a cost
forms. The obvious example is a hardcopy book and an ebook. Sometimes
identical content is available gratis and non-gratis - for example, gratis
MP3s on Jamendo and those same MP3s for $1 each in the Apple store. But
it's not unusual - particularly with software - for it only to be available
for cost. The journal *Fantastique Unfettered *is CC BY-SA but only
available for a charge.

Unfortunately, another common scenario is for the gratis version to be FLO
but the for a cost version to combine FLO and non-FLO content. For example,
the print version of *Dungeon World *combines text under CC Attribution
with unlicensed images.

Cheers,
Chris

*Chris Sakkas