[okfn-discuss] The GitHub generation

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Sun Jul 21 19:29:35 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 02:27:12PM -0300, Everton Zanella Alvarenga wrote:
> "The younger generation of developers increasingly eschews formal
> licensing requirements for their GitHub projects, a trend Redmonk
> analyst James Governor calls "post open source software." While some
> will celebrate a full 77% of GitHub projects going commando on
> licensing, new research from Black Duck Software suggests that this
> license-free approach comes with as much as $59 billion in hidden
> costs."
>
> Continue here: GitHub's Wild West Approach To Licensing Has Hidden
> Costs <http://readwrite.com/2013/07/16/githubs-wild-west-approach-to-licensing-has-hidden-costs>.
>
> See also: Open Source Is Old School, Says The GitHub Generation
> <http://readwrite.com/2013/05/15/open-source-is-old-school-says-the-github-generation>.
>
> An infophraphic about this
> http://www.blackducksoftware.com/resources/infographics/deep-license-data
>
> Because of some points raised in a recent thread here. I'd like to see
> this research.

actually i wonder if there is a quantitative change at all. isn't it more like
in the past all these non-licensed tools where hidden away in local
repositories, and only by the virtue of making it so easy to publish and have
a gitrepo on github they all come public?

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF