[okfn-discuss] The GitHub generation

Eric Mill eric at sunlightfoundation.com
Mon Jul 22 15:25:46 UTC 2013

Stef, I think that's closer to the truth. In the past, there was a greater
expectation of "finished-ness" before you'd post something and call it an
open source project. The gap between what people put in a full Github repo
and what they toss in a Gist seems to narrow every year, and I do like this.

I don't think the Github Generation (ugh) doesn't care about licensing,
it's just easy to not get around to unless someone pokes you about it or
you go through a formal release. I'm surprised Github hasn't taken a more
active approach to goading people to add a LICENSE the way they do a README
and a .gitignore. choosealicense.com is well done, but very passive because
they used Jekyll and stuck to what JS could do (copy license text to
clipboard).

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 02:27:12PM -0300, Everton Zanella Alvarenga wrote:
> > "The younger generation of developers increasingly eschews formal
> > licensing requirements for their GitHub projects, a trend Redmonk
> > analyst James Governor calls "post open source software." While some
> > will celebrate a full 77% of GitHub projects going commando on
> > licensing, new research from Black Duck Software suggests that this
> > license-free approach comes with as much as $59 billion in hidden
> > costs."
> >
> > Continue here: GitHub's Wild West Approach To Licensing Has Hidden
> > Costs <
> http://readwrite.com/2013/07/16/githubs-wild-west-approach-to-licensing-has-hidden-costs
> >.
> >
> > See also: Open Source Is Old School, Says The GitHub Generation
> > <
> http://readwrite.com/2013/05/15/open-source-is-old-school-says-the-github-generation
> >.
> >
> > An infophraphic about this
> >
> http://www.blackducksoftware.com/resources/infographics/deep-license-data
> >
> > Because of some points raised in a recent thread here. I'd like to see
> > this research.
>
> actually i wonder if there is a quantitative change at all. isn't it more
> like
> in the past all these non-licensed tools where hidden away in local
> repositories, and only by the virtue of making it so easy to publish and
> have
> a gitrepo on github they all come public?
>
> --
> pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
> pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF
> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

Developer | sunlightfoundation.com