[okfn-discuss] OKFN local groups and ambassadors signing up petition

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Tue Jun 11 08:23:42 UTC 2013

Hi Tom,

I think this is a matter for Local Groups to work out themselves, in
consultation with the appropriate local board of directors and community,
and to ensure if they do sign that they make it clear what organisation or
group they represent - ie the Chapter or the specific Local Group.

OKF Central has been approached by a number of groups about responses to
PRISM and we are reviewing them at present. We get a lot of requests to
support such statements and petitions, in topics relevant to open knowledge
and less so, and we need to ensure that we focus on what's important for us
as an organisation.

Best regards,

Laura

On 10 June 2013 13:53, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <everton.alvarenga at okfn.org
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just came to read this petition because of the recent case on Internet
> privacy [1] and it came to my mind the question if local
> groups/chapters/ambassadors can endorse such kind of petitions after
> consulting their local peers.
>
> What does OKF central think about that.
>
> By the way, since OKF is using a lot of these services (google, skypeetc.), I think it is worth to consider to endorse [1].
>
> P. S. Would be better to discuss this at okfn-discuss or okfn-local-coordmailing lists?
>
> Tom
>
> [1] http://bestbits.net/prism-nsa/
>
> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
> http://br.okfn.org

*

 Dr Laura James

Co-Director  | skype: laura.james  |  @LaurieJ <https://twitter.com/LaurieJ>