[okfn-discuss] open data assessment

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Sat Mar 16 08:57:22 UTC 2013

Hi Carlos,

the UN (Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Public Administration and Development Management) have developed what is called the

"Open Government Data for Citizen Engagement in Managing DevelopmentToolkit (OGDCE Toolkit)"

http://www.unpan.org/DPADM/ProductsServices/OpenGovernmentDataandServices/tabid/1536/language/en-US/Default.aspx

It also has a chapter on country readiness assessment (page 50..)

I recommend also having a look at Becky Hogge. Open Data Study, 2011,
http://www.transparency-initiative.org/reports/open-data-study-new-technologies

My personal view on this is that as of today assessing a countries' readiness to start an OGD initiative is  not trivially. Little is known about enabling environments and actual impacts of OGD policies and more research is needed. Hope to see more on this here: http://www.opendataresearch.org/

Maybe also of interest the latest topic report on Open Data in Developing Countries
http://epsiplatform.eu/content/topic-report-open-data-developing-countries

* looping in OGD and open development WG's lists, to see if others have more...

All the best
Daniel