[okfn-discuss] Keeping DRM out of HTML5

Karsten Gerloff gerloff at fsfeurope.org
Fri Mar 22 17:10:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 01:06:04PM -0400, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Karsten Gerloff <gerloff at fsfeurope.org>wrote:
>
> > Looking at the, ahem, "success" of
> > technologies such as Flash and Silverlight, they're welcome to
> > try.
> >

> I must say, I know this is just a turn of phrase, but they are NOT welcome
> to try more of this. We need to keep working to have a culture that shames
> these attempts even when they are failed attempts.

I fully agree.

> And that said, the idea of TBL endorsing DRM is destructive. Whether it
> possibly has any utility in bringing the systems to light where they can be
> rejected, if the goal of rejection isn't PUBLIC then it's bad for the
> culture. We can have respectable people telling the culture to respect DRM.

s/can/can't, right?

> This is a cultural battle more than a technological one.

Quite so. If Tim Berners-Lee has a strategy here, I hope it's a
very good one. But I doubt it.

Best regards,
Karsten
--
Karsten Gerloff                      [ ]   <gerloff at fsfeurope.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe   [ ][ ][ ]      [http://fsfe.org]

Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. is a German Verein registered
at the Registergericht Hamburg (VR 17030).