[okfn-discuss] about open access but not open access

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Fri May 3 15:26:19 UTC 2013

Simone

I strongly agree with you here.  I have had recent contact with two
financial modeling companies that have "open" in their name and talk in
their publicity materials about their dedication to transparency. However,
neither company has actually published an open source model or open data
set.  It seems that they are just using the concept of openness as a
branding strategy without actually contributing any content to the public
square.

I think people and companies that fly the flag of openness should practice
what they preach.  Those that don't should be called out.  I am glad you did
so.

Thanks,
Marc