[okfn-discuss] about open access but not open access

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Sat May 4 14:20:52 UTC 2013

Bastien

I used Outlook and a number of other proprietary tools to build a sovereign
fiscal data set which I announced on OKFN blog back in January.  See
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/01/31/sovereign-credit-risk-an-open-database/.
The tools I used are less important than the ultimate result of my work:  a
free data set carrying the Open Data Commons Attribution License.

My point is that if one wants to be an advocate of open data, one should
also contribute open data.  What tools one uses to assemble the open data is
not important (as long as the tools' licenses do not restrict distribution
of the work product).

I hope this distinction makes sense.

Regards,
Marc