[okfn-discuss] Open Economics

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Tue May 7 09:59:00 UTC 2013

On 04/05/2013 10:56, David Miller wrote:
>     economists, people whose impact is around understanding where value
>     is created, really haven’t embraced open markets, particularly open
>     data markets, in a very substantial way. I think we need a good
>     number of capable economists pilling into this, trying to understand
>     new forms of value and what the values are that are created. [1]
>
> Fair point as far as it goes...
>
> Turns out I couldn't name any (Prob my ignorance though ;)
>
> Who are the economists doing great work in this space?
>

> [1] Shadbodt -
> http://radar.oreilly.com/2013/04/linking-open-data-to-augmented-intelligence-and-the-economy.html
>
> --
> Love regards etc
>
> David Miller
> http://www.deadpansincerity.com
> 07854 880 883

There is an Open Economics working group of OKFN:
http://openeconomics.net/
though most of its activity has been more pragmatic than dealing with
more theoretical - though very important! - concepts such as value.

(My feeling is that value theory has been in the economic doghouse since
marginalism focused on price; but recent technological developments are
forcing the issue back into view.)

HTH

John

--