[okfn-discuss] Indication of case studies: regulatory regimes through transparency

Izabela Correa I.M.Correa at lse.ac.uk
Tue May 7 17:57:37 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues

My name is Izabela and I am a MRes/PhD Student at the LSE working on the evolution and effectiveness of regulatory systems through transparency, i.e. the disclosure of information with the purpose of helping regulators achieve their purposes (e.g. improve the quality of public schools through the disclosure of information that promote competition; improve the consumption of fruits and vegetables by requesting that companies disclose information on nutrition of products; disclosure of financial information by banks with the purpose of informing investors about risks; so on).

In other words, I am talking about regulations that oblige the disclosure of data/information as a mechanism to allow users to make choices (e.g. parents deciding in which school to enrol their kids; consumers deciding to buy healthier products; investors investing in funds with higher levels of governance). I would like to ask your kind help in indicating any case studies you know that have been conducted in this direction.

I am also looking for studies on the impact of open data and structured information on consumers' choice. ANY suggestion in this direction is more than welcome.

Best,
Izabela.