[okfn-discuss] White House Initiative - Open Data Policy

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon May 13 10:10:54 UTC 2013

Note that the UK's Government Digital Service also recently published their
guidelines on choosing appropriate formats in which government service
providers also should publish their data which also underscores things like
where PDFs are appropriate and where data should be released in e.g. CSV.

https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/design-and-content/choosing-appropriate-formats.html

Really good to see that this is really getting traction!

Lucy

On 13 May 2013 10:50, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> Yes, it's really good :-) There was a summary post up on Friday:
>

> http://blog.okfn.org/2013/05/10/government-data-open-and-machine-readable-by-default-announces-president-obama/
>
> And we'll be following up with some further analysis. If folks have
> any thoughts very interested to hear them!
>
> Rufus
>
> On 13 May 2013 10:12, Smarthart <mark.lizar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > MAKING OPEN AND MACHINE READABLE THE NEW DEFAULT FOR GOVERNMENT
> INFORMATION
> >

> http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/05/09/executive-order-making-open-and-machine-readable-new-default-government-
> >
> > Lots of good stuff in here, like:
> >
> > (b) Agencies shall implement the requirements of the Open Data Policy and
> > shall adhere to the deadlines for specific actions specified therein.
> When
> > implementing the Open Data Policy, agencies shall incorporate a full
> > analysis of privacy, confidentiality, and security risks into each stage
> of
> > the information lifecycle to identify information that should not be
> > released. These review processes should be overseen by the senior agency
> > official for privacy. It is vital that agencies not release information
> if
> > doing so would violate any law or policy, or jeopardize privacy,
> > confidentiality, or national security.
> >

> > Very Kewl..
> >

> > - Mark

> Rufus Pollock
>
> Founder and Co-Director | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation
>
> Empowering through Open Knowledge
>
> http://okfn.org/ | @okfn | OKF on Facebook |  Blog  |  Newsletter

**

*Lucy Chambers*

Project Coordinator  | skype: lucyfediachambers  |  tel: +44 7909 330731  |
 @lucyfedia <http://twitter.com/lucyfedia>

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

OpenSpending | http://openspending.org/ |
@openspending<http://twitter.com/openspending>|Tracking every
government financial transaction across the world

School of Data | http://schoolofdata.org |
@schoolofdata<http://twitter.com/schoolofdata>| Evidence is Power