[okfn-discuss] Keeping DRM out of HTML5

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Thu May 16 19:12:24 UTC 2013

Gavin,

I think there's a certain frame missing from your point. I see it simply
like this: if the proprietary-publishers have enough power to really
sabotage the open web otherwise, then compromising on DRM in order to avoid
that sabotage is indeed in our interests.

I think that's what you're saying. If not, if you think that the open web
will survive and be robust regardless of what saboteurs may do, then
accepting DRM is totally debatable. The idea that more-open but-DRM'ed
stuff will bring more total net openness is misguided, I think. Bringing
easy accessible DRM into the frame is sure to enable and encourage adding
DRM in tons of places where it might otherwise be avoided.

I think we compromise only when the alternative is worse, that's how
compromise works. I am not convinced this situation applies.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf