[okfn-discuss] PDF Liberation Hackathon - January 17-19

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Tue Nov 26 18:44:51 UTC 2013

Please join us for the Sunlight Foundation's PDF Liberation Hackathon in
Washington DC, San Francisco and worldwide via remote participation starting
on January 17. We will be using open source and low cost commercial tools to
extract structured data from a variety of government PDF documents. As many
have noted, government publication of data in PDF form provides the
appearance of transparency without offering the full informational benefit.
We can address this gap by lowering the cost and decreasing the complexity
of harvesting data from these valuable documents. At the hackathon, we will
build upon and use tools such as Tabula <http://jazzido.github.io/tabula/> ,
PDF2SVG <https://bitbucket.org/petermr/pdf2svg-dev/overview>  and The PDF
Extraction Toolkit <http://tamirhassan.com/pdfxtk.html>  to ease data
liberation from PDFs.

For more information, please see the Sunlight blog post at
http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/11/15/opengov-voices-pdf-liberation-
hackathon-at-sunlight-in-dc-and-around-the-world-january-17-19-2014/  and
the resource page at http://pdfliberation.wordpress.com.

Additional sponsors for the event include Rally.org and Knight-Mozilla
OpenNews.  If your organization would be interested in co-sponsoring and
possibly setting up an additional hack site, please contact us at
pdfhackathon at sunlightfoundation.com
<mailto:pdfhackathon at sunlightfoundation.com?subject=PDF%20Hackathon%20Cospon
shorhip%20Inquiry> .