[okfn-discuss] Help shape the future of the Open Knowledge Foundation

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 17:52:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Karsten Gerloff <gerloff at fsfeurope.org>wrote:

> I had a quick look at alternativeto.net. I'm afraid that many of
> the solutions proposed there are non-free.
>
> Unfortunately, they're lumped together with the Free Software
> listings in a way that's somewhat confusing.

I said this clearly in my original posting: Alternativeto.net uses the term
"Open Source" to refer to Open things and you can filter. It is a
compromise because the site is proprietary, but it is the technically most
superior, practical, and thorough option by FAR. It is very easy to use.
The only way it really functions is that it includes all the proprietary
stuff so you can see what is alternative to what… There's nothing confusing
once you realize that they use "Open Source" for FLOSS and "Free" for
gratis-but-proprietary.

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com