[okfn-discuss] Help shape the future of the Open Knowledge Foundation

Karsten Gerloff gerloff at fsfeurope.org
Fri Nov 29 17:48:05 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 09:43:14AM -0800, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Tryggvi Björgvinsson <
> tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org> wrote:
>
> > I also like the proprietary hosted (Github) Open Source Alternatives to
> > Proprietary Enterprise Software, made (better) available by Ben Balter:
> >
> > http://ben.balter.com/open-source-alternatives/
> >

> Besides not actually highlighting some of the better options, that site has
> an NC clause to its license, so it does not itself meet the Open
> definition. If you accept a non-Open site for discovering Open projects,
> alternativeto.net is far superior.

I had a quick look at alternativeto.net. I'm afraid that many of
the solutions proposed there are non-free.

Unfortunately, they're lumped together with the Free Software
listings in a way that's somewhat confusing.

Best regards,
Karsten
--
Karsten Gerloff                      [ ]   <gerloff at fsfeurope.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe   [ ][ ][ ]      [http://fsfe.org]

Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. is a German Verein registered
at the Registergericht Hamburg (VR 17030).