[okfn-discuss] non google non microsoft

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 20:11:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Eric Mill <eric at sunlightfoundation.com>wrote:

> That directory is craziness. This is what they list for email software:
>
> http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Email-software
>
> 162 options, listed in alphabetical order with text-only descriptions, and
> you have to click on a link to see anything past Ba-.
>
> If I'm looking to break out of Gmail, I need several recommendations, with
> an emphasis on what they look like, how they work, and how painful I can
> expect my transition to be. I need articles, not directories.
>
> Generally speaking, while I appreciate the FSF and their legal work, I've
> come to expect very little from them in encouraging the development and
> proliferation of pleasant, usable free software.

I agree, and I know that something that is a mess doesn't motivate people
well, but the FSF is definitely working on improving everything and making
it not a mess. They've made progress in the last year or so improving it.

The best most organized thing is http://prism-break.org/ but that's for
online mostly, currently doesn't have stuff like survey tools or word
processing, although that could probably be added.

As I've been saying, the most *practical* but itself non-Open is
alternativeto.net

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com