[okfn-discuss] non google non microsoft

Anthony Clearn aclearn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 21:58:39 UTC 2013

Hi Eric, afaik the directory is a list of FSF approved software, that
is, the code is released under a version of the GNU GPL license. Thus
the code is reusable under the terms of that license (as in freedom to
'reuse', study, etc.) The reason that they have this list is probably
something of a repository / archive of the GNU GPL code, as it is the
license of the FSF.

Perhaps someone wishes to write a new piece of software and would like
to study how others have written their code. They can do so by following
the links in the directory
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy]. That would be my take on
the list, but I'm not involved in FSF so as to know for sure, and I
haven't taken the time to look into it.

I don't think it's meant to be a guide, for example, to find a GMail
replacement.

Perhaps there are some answers to your question here:
https://www.eff.org/wp/who-has-your-back-2013

The only other source of information on this that topic that I recall
reading about is this (see "Leaving Google")
http://letters.cathalgarvey.me/been-busy/

You could get a fsf email address if you like, if you trusted them :p