[okfn-discuss] non google non microsoft

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Fri Nov 29 22:30:43 UTC 2013

Listing tools is not going to help much yet.

I would like this discussion to focus on the second part of PM-R's email,
discussing how to spread a culture of open source within the OKF. He
mentioned hackathons, but there are many things we could do. Let's list
those.

Google and others have been very successful at building ecosystems of
products which are highly reliable, easy to use and easy to discover. We
need to make sure that we have enough social infrastructure to support the
adoption and continued use of a useful toolset. There are actually many
viable alternatives to well-marketed, closed software. The difficult part
is building workflows and practices within our distributed organisation to
make use of those tools.

The OKF has actively made successive decisions to use non-open tools to
promote openness. I don't believe there is any maliciousness about this.
The use of Google Docs, Skype, Meetup.com, etc has been driven due (IMO) to
1) ease of use to people new to open culture and 2) efficiency gains.

In order for the OKF to continue to make openness accessible to people
outside of its community, it needs to be welcoming. How can we remain
welcoming to people who encounter unfamiliar systems? Getting everyone to
use MediaWiki has been tried wiki.okfn.org continues to languish.

Tim McNamara
@timClicks <http://twitter.com/timClicks> | timmcnamara.co.nz