[okfn-discuss] Free Software tools for OKFN -- please contribute

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 00:31:20 UTC 2013

Hi Gene,

The Free Software movement has now been around for over 30 years. This is
not a question of starting a new initiative. What people are asking is that
OKF align with the goals of this decades-long and continuing movement. The
struggles that the movement has had in interesting the general public are
complex and involve everything from internal debates to practical
challenges to sabotage by proprietary interests.

The issue in Free Software is *freedom*. It is the problem that when we all
rely on a technology than an undemocratic institution controls, it means
they have power over us. They can invade our privacy, influence how the
technology is used and by whom and change elements of it at will in ways
that serve their interests over the interests of the public.

The issues about whether the public cares about this are similar to the
ways they care or don't care about Open Data or other types of Open
Knowledge. Someone who doesn't understand chemistry isn't going to
immediately care about chemistry research to be open, but some people might
recognize the significance and what it means for society overall.

There is no way to make average users care about Free/Libre Open-Source
software without explaining what that means and why it matters. At any
rate, the issue *here* isn't about reaching the public, it's about reaching
the OKF community who have no excuse to remain willfully ignorant about
these issues.

I hope all this comes across as just informative; I don't mean it as a
rebuke to anything you said. Your points are all fine in essence.

Respectfully,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf