[okfn-discuss] what are the arguments against open data

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 09:30:39 UTC 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 2:33 PM, Karsten Gerloff <gerloff at fsfeurope.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 03:25:30PM -0700, Gene Shackman wrote:
>> Ewan Klein asked an excellent question on identifying specific demonstrations of the benefits of open data. That made me wonder about a related question: what are the arguments against open data?
>
> In practice, the main argument I've heard against open data is
> that it might harm privacy.

Individual human privacy and security, cultural sensitivity, and national security come to mind as reasons against open public sector or individual private data.

> This is usually raised by people who
> are new to the field, and is for the most part easily countered.

While I would not consider myself completely new to the field, I would love to know the arguments that would counter the above reasons.

--
Puneet Kishor