[okfn-discuss] protocols of open data, business models

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 9 11:35:49 UTC 2013

I can't comment on business models.

If we start with the Open Definiiton it can be applied to a wide range of
data. That what we did for science under Panton. But is starts to fail on
edge cases such as patients, rare species, political sensitivities. So can
we create a guidebook which addresses this?

Yes - of course we can - it's the Open Research Data handbook - which we
are creating. So everyone who contributed to the discussion should think
about helping create the ORDH.

P.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Gene Shackman <eval_gene at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Peter talked about a protocol for Open Data.
> Bob and Puneet talked about business models and getting private companies
> to release their data
>
> This seems like stuff that could all go together, but, well, I want to ask
> first,
>
> 1. What exactly does protocol for Open Data mean? Is this like a
> definition, or criteria for what data are open data, or procedures for
> making data open?
>
> 2. What would a business model look like, or what exactly is a business
> model? Something that says how to make data open but how the people who
> make them open can still benefit?
>
> Thanks
>

> Gene

Peter Murray-Rust