[okfn-discuss] protocols of open data, business models

Bob Chen bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Oct 9 13:45:56 UTC 2013

I think there are a couple of different meanings of "business model"
floating around.

One is the discussion of how private businesses can open up their data
and still survive as a business.

Another is the degree to which businesses and other organizations can
build on and provide services based on public sector data and
information.

The third, which I'm more concerned with, is how to support the entire
lifecycle of open data, from creation to preservation, in an era of
stressed public budgets. Open data can improve the case for public
sector investment, and it could provide access to new resources (e.g.,
citizen scientists), but it may also undercut subscription and other
business models for data access and stewardship that have lasted for
decades. For a viewpoint on this, see a recent statement prepared by a
group of "domain repositories":

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/support/announcements/2013/09/sustaining-domain-repositories-for

Cheers, Bob

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
  (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail: bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
CIESIN web site: http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC web site: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu