[okfn-discuss] open data, definitions, plans to create, manage, distribute

Gene Shackman eval_gene at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 11 22:45:07 UTC 2013

Hi all

The whitehouse has this whole movement
Making Open and Machine Readable the New Default for Government Information

along with that they put out various memos, policies, etc. In particular, one, M-13-13
Open Data Policy-Managing Information as an Asset
was very interesting. It can be seen here
http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Reference-Shelf/Data.shtml
look in the "Open Data Policy" box, or directly here
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/memoranda/2013/m-13-13.pdf
In case the govt shuts down more, I also saved a copy.

This memo and attachment has what I think is a good definition of open data, and an outline of how to orient agencies toward producing open data. That is, steps in doing this.

1. Collect or create information in a way that supports downstream information processing and dissemination activities
2. Build information systems to suppor·t interoper·ability and information accessibility
3. Strengthen data management and release practices
4. Strengthen measures to ensure that privacy and confidentiality are fully protected and that data are properly secured
5. Incorporate new interoperability and openness requirements into core agency processes

I like this memo and attachment because it's easy to read. I don't need to know jargon, background, detailed knowledge of data, etc.

It links to many other sites, for example this one
http://project-open-data.github.io/

Gene

Gene Shackman, Ph.D.
The Global Social Change Research Project
http://gsociology.icaap.org
Free Resources for Methods in Evaluation and Social Research
http://gsociology.icaap.org/methods