[okfn-discuss] CC and copyright reform

David Hirst david at davidhirst.com
Wed Oct 30 19:12:58 UTC 2013

Copyright is an important feature of copyleft, so I would not wish to see it
abolished entirely.

Patents last 20 years (after what becomes a substantial fee). Mostly,
anything after 20 years is discounted out by investors (even blockbuster
movie investors). Originally, I think it was 7 years, then 14, and I would
be comfortable with this or 21.

But you would have a big battle with the rent seeking corporations who have
inherited a legacy they can milk - at least for as long as they can bribe
legislatures. Outbribing them would be prohibitively expensive, so the case
has to be an ethical / political one.

Cheers

David Hirst

Mobile:  +44 7831 405443