[okfn-discuss] effort to improve "open science" article on Wikipedia...

Lane Rasberry lane at bluerasberry.com
Fri Sep 13 16:32:15 UTC 2013

Hello all,

This email talks about an upcoming effort to develop the Wikipedia article
on "open science" at the the Open Knowledge Foundation conference 16-18
September in Geneva and online. The request is that anyone who is able
should consider submitting something to that Wikipedia article - or to this
list for those unfamiliar with Wikipedia - so that people can learn more
about open science. The rest of this email talks about that - there is no
need to read further if you are not interested in participating.

*Why this matters*
One way to describe open science is to say that it is the idea that all
science intended to be made available should be made available. Right now
there are barriers to collaboration in science, including inability of
researchers to read papers (lack of open access) and inability of
researchers to share data (lack of open data).

Since the Wikipedia article on "open science" is the first returned result
for a search engine query on the topic, securing the usefulness of this
Wikipedia article is probably a prerequisite to anticipating that mass
media will ever talk about open science and thus encourage a social
movement.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_science>

*How anyone can help*
The easiest way that anyone can develop any Wikipedia article is to make
sure that all major sources describing a topic are at least cited and
mentioned in the references section of that Wikipedia article. If sources
are not identified, then no one can develop the article. Please look at the
sources already cited and if anyone knows a fundamental source of "open
science" not mentioned in this article then please post it on Wikipedia or
if that is not possible, mention it in this mailing list.

Otherwise, anyone can edit Wikipedia at any time. Feel free to jump in by
going to any Wikipedia article and clicking "edit" at the top of the page.
If you do something wrong then I assure you that your contribution will be
salvaged and integrated by others.

Although the conference and drive to improve this article is 16-18
September, actually you can feel free to contribute to Wikipedia at any
time.

*Who can do this*
Stakeholders in the public perception of the concept of "open science"
should consider that at least this project will influence them, just
because this article will be for the foreseeable future the central source
of information on this topic. Anyone who likes can give input.

This effort is being organized by Ceyla of HackYourPhD.org. She just went
on an international open science tour and documented an oral history of
open science. She will be at OKCon in Geneva and can assist people at that
conference. I [[user:bluerasberry]] on Wikipedia or
lane at bluerasberry.comcan assist people on Wikipedia or otherwise
online.
<http://hackyourphd.org/en/> Ceyla - at the conference
*<https://etherpad.mozilla.org/OKCon-OpenScienceHackDay> <------- Most
details planned here *
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bluerasberry> Lane - online only

The P2P Foundation is an organizational overseer in this effort.
<http://p2pfoundation.net/>

I would also like to advertise that there is a mailing list for the
Wikipedia community about internal policy on open access - open access
advocates may want to subscribe to this here.

Also I would like to advertise that I recognize the Open Knowledge
Foundation as a major international player in promoting community
discussion about open science and related topics.

Finally I would like to point to Gabriel Thullen and Brian as active
Wikipedians who live in Geneva. I have no idea whether they might be able
to say hello to any open science fans attending this conference but they do
both know Wikipedia and they do what they can to promote access to
information in Switzerland and beyond. Gabriel is especially interested in
getting youth to edit Wikipedia and Brian contributes to health content on
Wikipedia.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:GastelEtzwane>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Biosthmors> <--- pressed for time but
friendly online

Thanks for your attention! There is a concerted effort to improve articles
on open science and open access before the summer of 2014, when at
Wikimania, the international Wikipedia conference, we are making a media
push for recognition that Wikipedians and others need access to information
to make the articles that people are demanding!

yours,