[okfn-discuss] effort to improve "open science" article on Wikipedia... also see citizendium

Gene Shackman eval_gene at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 22:09:04 UTC 2013

"it will be best to consent to improving it rather than waste time with problematic forks."

This is assuming that contributing to the web is a zero sum game, that if you contribute to wikipedia you can't contribute to anything else. Maybe you personally can't but others can. So, collectively, it's not a choice of only contributing to one or the other.

"Wikipedia which is already a responsible, well-governed, imperfect, successful resource"

The only part of that that is measurably true is that wikipedia is currently more successful (well, popular) than other on line encycs. I would say that it is not responsible, not well governed, and okay, also imperfect. Thus, the motive for contributing to wikipedia rather than to anything else is that more people will see it on wikipedia.  That is a current cost benefit statement. Of course, if more people contributed to other on line encycs, and cited those other sources, then wikipedia would have more challenges to its popularity, and thus less justification for contributing only to wikipedia. Kind of a self fulfilling thing.

"Regardless of your critiques of Wikipedia"

As we all know, anyone can write anything on wikipedia, and a lot of it goes unchallenged. Even if an authoritative body spent a lot of time writing something good, anyone can come along and mess it all up. This alone makes wikipedia very unreliable. Even if you attempt to guard it 24/7, you can't guarantee that what someone sees at any given moment will reflect what the authoritative body contributed.

So, I'm not saying somebody shouldn't work on improving wikipedia, and devoting their entire lifetime to guarding the entry so it stays correct. I think that would be a good thing to do.

However, it IS a good thing to also get the message out in other sources, especially ones that have more of a peer review process and not easily messed up entries. Citizendium is at least one on line encyc that fits that bill, and so I think it would be useful to contribute to it.

Thanks

Gene