[okfn-discuss] Why is there no legal discussion OKF list?

Lane Rasberry lane at bluerasberry.com
Thu Sep 19 14:12:31 UTC 2013

This thread is boring! David should ask a legal question or make a
statement, but if he is sleeping then then I am asking a question!

What is the copyright status of technically created visualizations? I am
asking this especially in the context of machine-generated medical data
visualizations, which could include ECG lines or things like X-rays and CT
scans. Some of us are having a conversation about this on Wikipedia now. We
do not know if these visualizations are copyrightable and if so, who would
own the copyright.
<
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Computed_tomography_of_human_brain_-_large.png

This conversation happens several times a year on Wikipedia and we have not
found conclusion after years of talking about this. As a health educator I
feel that having clear guidelines for the circumstances under which medical
images can be shared is essential for publishing medical images and
therefore to teaching health care providers.

I have no proposal myself for how I wish things to be, but when there is a
proposal, I would like to pass it around OKFN to see if anyone would like
to join in making an assertion of best practices. We would like for the
images to be freely shared somehow in a legal way.

Anyone who has something to contribute to the Wikipedia discussion would be
welcome. About 15 people are participating now and many more are following.

Thanks,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM, John Levin <john at technolalia.org> wrote:

> On 16/09/2013 16:58, Laura James wrote:
>
>> We have an incubating working group on open legislation:
>> http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_**Groups/openlegislation<http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/openlegislation>although it's been
>> very quiet on the list of late:
>> http://lists.okfn.org/**pipermail/open-legislation/<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-legislation/>
>>
>> That would be a great place to start discussions on making legal data
>> open, although all topics are welcome on okfn-discuss.
>>
>> Laura
>>

> Oh duh! I'm subscribed to that group, but had completely forgotten about
> it!
>
> Will post to it soon about my ideas.
>
> John
>

> --