[okfn-discuss] new brand, new website: coming up next week

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Sun Apr 13 16:41:37 UTC 2014

Hello Laura,

To respond for one more round on specific points, after which I'll pause
from the discussion for a while, as if these are in fact minority views not
shared by others, and the new brand is a given, then better I suspect to
let actions and experimenting with identity in the network, rather than
these discussions, take the conversation on the next step.

__Sure. We're a diverse network, as you know, and I think it's fair to say
> each group communicates the way it wants, today - and will continue to do
> so. Our messages are all quite different already!__

And this has been possible under a description of the central organisation
such as: *"We are a global movement to open up knowledge around the world
and see it used and useful."* - but if the description of what the central
organisation is shifts to being data-centric and technology-centric in the
way the brand suggests, then many of those more diverse messages of the
network are not represented in Central - and that does make it harder for
people in this diverse community to understand how they fit - or to feel
that being in some way affiliated to OK(F) makes sense.

__We followed the advice of the experts and did the broad consultation at
> the start of the process - through the community survey and other methods.
> Design, of both graphics and words, does not usually work well if done "by
> committee," and we were advised to do the later stages in smaller group
> consultation, which is what happened.__

Open processes do not have to result in design by committee: and describing
things this way is a very disparaging way to see the potential of processes
of open collaboration.

Whilst external expertise has an important role to play in explaining and
understanding how ideas might be perceived by key audiences you are trying
to reach - surely there were processes open to you that involved drawing on
expertise from inside the community (of which there would undoubtedly be
much) and filling any blind-spots the community might have through
selective use of outside consultancy.

__I really don't think we could capture everything in one short phrase,
> using commonly-understood terms, but I feel the tagline does a reasonable
> job of representing the common essence of it all.__

On this then either you have not read and listened to the critique above -
or we have a fundamental difference of opinion.

The tag line absolutely does not represent the common essence of an open
*knowledge *movement.

Not one bit.

I cannot think how to say more on this than I've already said.

All the best

Tim

w: http://www.timdavies.org.uk | m: 07834 856 303 | twitter: timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation: