[okfn-discuss] new brand, new website: coming up next week

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 18:00:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> On 15 April 2014 10:34, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>> Moving away from the tagline for a moment, what are your thoughts on the
> longer form summary:
>
> <quote>
> A world where knowledge creates power for the many, not the few.
> A world where data frees us — to make informed choices about how we live,
> what we buy and who gets our vote.
> A world where information and insights are accessible — and apparent — to
> everyone.
> This is the world we choose.
> </quote>
>
> I’m concerned at the moment that the tagline is over-dominating the
> analysis and given its (necessary) brevity may be over-interpreted, so I’m
> really keen to get your take on the longer form summary. What do you think?

This is more balanced. What needs to be added is that we build the tools of
liberation. Many of those are data tools but we also have protocols - like
Panton which although *about* data are more complex than data itself. And
it is very important to emphasize that we work as a community and we build
communities and the tools to build communities.

> We have not, and I hope we never will, turn into a data organisation. So
>> please can we go back to knowledge?
>>

> Let me emphasize that we most definitely have not changed from being a
> “knowledge” organisation :-) We are, after all, “Open Knowledge”
>
> Rufus

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry