[okfn-discuss] new brand, new website: coming up next week

Kersti Wissenbach krwissenbach at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 21:52:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> A world where knowledge creates power for the many, not the few.
> A world where data frees us — to make informed choices about how we live,
> what we buy and who gets our vote.
> A world where information and insights are accessible — and apparent — to
> everyone.
> This is the world we choose.

I agree with Aaron's comment believe it may be good to emphasize that

there is no data, information, knowledge without *people* creating it and
making use of it for certain purposes
> people over tech focus

the creation of power BY people THROUGH data is relative and highly context
dependent (considering legal, political, etc, frameworks) ... same counts
for accessibility.

It would be great to see a stronger (or general) recognition of the great
efforts of an increasingly global community which is enabled to use data,
specific tools etc. in order to strive for their very needs, intentions,
rights, you name it..

In the current phrasing it is not the people but data and technology being
put into the actors role but in case there is a specific reason for same it
would be great to hear more about it of course.

Warm wishes,
Kersti

*Kersti Ruth Wissenbach*
campaign strategies | program coordination | research

*Freedom of Expression & Information | Open Development **| ICT4C *

NL ambassador Open Knowledge Foundation

Mobile +31 (0)634193966
Skype kersti.wissenbach
@kerstiru