[okfn-discuss] Googles role in the open movement

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Aug 7 11:32:34 UTC 2014

ohi,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 02:18:53PM +0200, Niels Erik Kaaber Rasmussen wrote:
> Thanks for a great #Okfest14 with interesting and inspiring people, sessions and talks in Berlin.
>
> One issue that was not on the official programme, but I came to discuss multiple times in private conversations was Googles role in the event and more generally in the open movement. Should Google lead the way in the quests for a "global digital infrastructure for democracy"? Are google open enough? How about privacy issues? Censorship? Tax issues? Etc.

although i had no means to attend, some attendees seem to consider me their
counselor, everyone was concerned about this issue, some transparency ngo
representative said it was very insulting from the google keynote to claim
them being one of us. if he would be, he might have had the same problems as
me, no funds to attend...

my recommendation for the next okfest, more (or at least some) ethics less
corrupt keynoters. my dream would be morozov as a mandatory keynoter -
mandatory for every participant that is.

(great work sally+javier for the little responsibility at the fringe of the
event)

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt