[okfn-discuss] SayIt Launch

Jen Bramley jen at mysociety.org
Thu Jan 23 12:03:41 UTC 2014

Hi Michael, Hey Andy!

I'm glad you like the look of SayIt and great to hear it's getting
discussed at the Labs hangout, I've let the mySoc devs know to see if
anyone can join in to answer specific questions.

I have to say right here that I'm lacking technical skills so may not have
the best answers to your questions, but I'm passing them on.

The current transcripts are scraped from PDFs for the most part I believe.
We had been experimenting with transcription of audio but the speech
recognition software is costly in money and processing if you want more
than around 10 seconds at a time so for the moment , we've had to back off
this. Outsourcing to people is definitely an option though. The hungarian
group behind KiMitTud are investigating this for some transcripts they want
to put up on SayIt at the moment.

Everything is in Alpha right now and you can see our development on github,
please do feel free to add tickets, submit pull requests and also let
people know what you're working on on the google group!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/poplus

Thanks so much for the interest! It's so great to know it could be useful :)

All the best

Jen

--
Jen Bramley
*International Project Development Manager*

If you have set up Alaveteli or FixMyStreet please fill in our surveys!
FixMyStreet Survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10PnEmAgX9d3ZayB2O9xGKNbGaBWaPK9ioSs-rz4-SgM/viewform>
 and Alaveteli Survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1INYP6NUOukNWXhzHDWCGlxySE0_LibMaa1zqma_kuRc/viewform>