[okfn-discuss] OKFN and Reset the Net

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Thu Jun 5 16:44:39 UTC 2014

On 5 June 2014 17:13, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 04:55:01PM +0100, Laura James wrote:
> > In the case of Reset the Net specifically, I've seen some opposition
> online
> > to the initiative because it has the backing of Google - what do folks
> here
> > think about that? Is it a concern?
>
> i think the concerns need prioritization. you could address both in a
> suitable
> press release.

Thanks Stef, that's great input.

I've also raised this with our Advisory Council and look forward to their
thoughts :)

Our goals and principles remain bold; we don't do open just for the sake of
it but to achieve change (as per our strategy shared last summer
<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/presentation/d/1XrtSYCPESzh4W19B6bRBo6Cc5WN8ZXp-5cyXEB-U-p4/>)
- we open knowledge to empower citizens and enable fair, sustainable
societies - and we are engaging on relevant issues - such as campaigning
for open information around contracting through
http://stopsecretcontracts.org/ which is going to be ramping up a lot in
the next weeks with activity from several local groups.

It's super to explore what else we should be supporting in this thread -
thanks Will for getting it started!

Laura