[okfn-discuss] Web 2.0 Killed the Internet (article)

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 05:59:46 UTC 2014

I agree with Aral in almost every way. I think we can get a little too
bogged down in make overly strong enemies of folks like O'Reilly (he's a
flawed and problematic figure but certainly not as entirely malicious as
some would make him out to be).

The "Web 2.0" concept purportedly includes the Wiki and Wikipedia and Open
Street Map as much as anything else. Those things are excellent and are the
the parts of the internet that are not only intact but represent the best
of our achievements.

The problem isn't "Web 2.0", but proprietary control. Web 2.0 when it is
truly democratic and freedom-respecting (like Wikipedia) is wonderful. You
could say that the advancing technology enhances everything. It enhances
the positive impact and value of these true community projects, and it
enhances the power and anti-democratic intrusions of proprietary platforms
like Facebook.

Embracing or rejecting technology is not the answer. The question is what
sort of technology. Free/Libre/Open (FLO) internet? Yay! Proprietary
internet? Undermines our democracy and society. The tech is relatively
neutral.

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com