[okfn-discuss] Web 2.0 Killed the Internet (article)

John Baxter john at jsbaxter.com.au
Sat Jun 7 05:21:55 UTC 2014

Interested to hear what others made of this provocative article.

Maybe these ideas aren't new to you but they were to me (and yet seem
compellingly obvious)

http://aralbalkan.com/notes/how-web-2-0-killed-the-internet/

tl;dr:
Open APIs (and other 'open/free' trends) haven't really opened anything at
all, they've been a clever ploy to build closed, privately owned silos -
undermining openness ('killing the internet')

To me the most interesting questions it raises are about governance of tech
startups / the internet.

(*Disclaimer: Sorry if a repost, I searched but couldn't find*)

*John Baxter*
jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au>
0405 447 829
@jsbaxter_