[okfn-discuss] OKFN and Reset the Net (debrief)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 13 13:05:47 UTC 2014

Hi Will,

I'm don't plan to dig in here as I know there has been a separate thread
but just wanted to say thanks for the long and thoughtful follow-up here -
and, generally, appreciate the passion and thought behind this :-)

Rufus

On 7 June 2014 14:20, William Waites <ww at eris.okfn.org> wrote:

> I'm probably the primary culprit for criticism of the tone of the
> discussion. I apologise for this. It was driven as Rayna suspects by
> the urgency of getting this sorted out on the day and in reaction to
> Laura's uncertainty on the topic which I found very surprising.
>
> I'm not particularly a pro-privacy campaigner -- though I am
> sympathetic to those who are -- or indeed a campaigner of any kind. I'm
> an engineer who has built some parts of the Internet, and indeed some
> parts of OKFN's infrastructure. I've been helping artists and activists
> and NGOs of various kinds have access to and make use of Internet
> resources since the mid 1990s at the same time as creating these
> same resources. In this context I tend rather to see myself more as an
> enabler than a campaigner. For the most part I keep to the background
> and the lower levels of the infrastructure that the users -- and by
> users I primarily mean content producers more so than consumers. It is
> relatively unusual that I feel compelled to intervene at a higher, more
> publicly visible level. My role, like other network engineers and
> system administrators has historically been not to have much to say
> about how the infrastructure is used but to make sure it is a
> fundamentally neutral platform on which people can do and say as they
> see fit. The current situation is different and I'd like to explain why.
>
> The ongoing pervasive monitoring is an attack at a very fundamental
> level on the basic infrastructure that makes things like OKFN possible.
> Where in the past it has made sense to tend to the infrastructure and
> allow others to use it to address problems that they see in the world
> the present situation affects our ability to do this. We, meaning
> many engineers and admins around the world, have for many years acted in
> mostly unseen solidarity with civil society including organisations
> like OKFN, and now we need your help. We have found that the basic
> ethical obligation of the sysadmin, to take privileged access to
> systems very seriously, to only use it to ensure proper operation of
> the infrastructure, and above all, to keep any information learned in
> that process strictly confidential much like a lawyer or a doctor would
> be expected to has been undermined. The basic relationship that all of
> you have with the infrastructure through the network operations and
> system administration communities has been altered without our
> knowledge and consent and against our wishes.
>
> We have long known or suspected that anyone sufficiently motivated and
> with sufficient resources can look at what any particular person is
> doing, just as the police can stake out somebody's house if they want
> to. What we didn't know was that this is happening to everybody all the
> time, although there have been suggestions at least as far back as the
> early 2000s that this was planned. We, as a community, misjudged the
> [...]

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

*Come to the Open Knowledge Festival <http://okfestival.org/> in Berlin
15-17 July 2014!*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.