[okfn-discuss] Next steps on the Open Knowledge Tagline

Daniela Mattern daniela.mattern at okfn.org
Sat Jun 14 11:43:49 UTC 2014

Personally, I like

*Open Minds to Open Action (the OKFestival slogan)*
it addresses the Education aspect and also the activism - both core
strategies that I so much believe in.

I just feel, that it is so difficult to find a single tagline, that
everyone likes. Some people have problems with "empower" (I personally have
to, for the use in international development and the relation to
hierarchy), "freeing ideas" is too fluffy for me ... I don't like "See how
data (information/knowledge) can change the world" - this is to soft for me
and does not include a clear call for action - BTW - who should see?
normally I think the tagline should represent what we do and not what other
people should do.

For instance: "Empowering people by freeing ideas" means that *we* are
empowering but does "See how data can change the world" also refer to us -
I mean, I do not consider myself a mere observer of the movement, so "Help
data to change the world" or "Make open knowledge change the world" would
be more appropriate for my work.

For the process: I rather do not believe that we find a tagline that
everyone likes. But it would be nice to have something in the e-mail footer
and elsewhere that we believe in ...
So, my suggestion is: Why can't we just have a set of taglines (3-5) that
we endorse as Open Knowledge and people can select the one, they most
identify with.

In order to find these we should have a list of suggestions and then a
voting process - probably multiple rounds of voting. OKF Finland has a lot
of experience on how to organize group decision making, so maybe Joonas or
Jaakko can help. Before this, we should encourage people to contribute with
suggestions - not only on this list, but have an at least one month process
after which Working Groups, Chapters, Local Groups, and individuals come up
with an idea.

Best

Daniela

On 10 June 2014 13:54, heath rezabek <heath.rezabek at gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason, 'Empowering ppl by freeing ideas' feels too chunky to
> me.  I don't know if changing the 'by' to a 'through' or just to a comma
> would help.
>
> One part of it is that the tagline should -be- the idea that empowers; the
> idea we're setting free.  The sentiment is great.  In a way, 'Open
> Knowledge' is that idea.  So maybe I'm starting to fall on the side of
> those who want no tagline.
>
> That then begs conversation with those drawn to Open Knowledge but
> confused about what it means.  I honestly think the ability to spark such a
> vast conversation is the whole point.
>
> I'm starting to weary of versions that repeat either word already there,
> such as 'Open X/Y/Z' or the 'Future is Open' (though 'future' is a fine
> concept to mix in, to me) because these dilute the potency of just plain
> 'Open Knowledge'.
>
> So if Open Knowledge is its own strong tagline, aside from the
> 'standalone' option, the other route would be a tagline that invited
> exploration.  Along the lines of...
>
> Open Knowledge:
> Discover more.
> Empower the Future.
> Verb This.
>
> ie, an imperative.
>
> But again, because 'Open Knowledge' can be read at least two ways, it
> already satisfies.  I say be bold, let the title stand for itself, and
> welcome the conversation that begins.  "What does Open Knowledge mean?"
> "Well, what does it mean to you?"
>
> - Heath
>

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:24 AM, Tom Olijhoek <tom.olijhoek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Duncan Edwards and Aaron Wolf that 'Empowering people by
>> freeing ideas' is a very good tagline.
>> I also do not like See how... variants very much for reasons that Aaron
>> gave.
>>
>> My second choice would be   'the right to know'.
>>
>> I also added a last minute idea that entered my mind to the WIKI
>>
>> the Future is Open.
>>
>> best
>>

>> --
>> Tom Olijhoek

> Heath Rezabek  //  labs.vessel.cc
> Icarus Interstellar  /  FarMaker Design Corps  //  icarusinterstellar.org
> Open Knowledge Foundation  /  Texas Ambassador for the OKFn  //  okfn.org

Daniela Mattern

Open Data Project Manager | skype: e1aste2000

*Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org> *

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |
Newsletter <http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>

<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>

*Have you bought your tickets <http://2014.okfestival.org/tickets/> to
OKFestival yet? Join us in Berlin in July (15-17)!*

*Open Minds to Open Action*