[okfn-discuss] Fwd: CSV, Conf - Berlin 15 July 2014 - for Data Makers Everywhere

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 8 20:12:37 UTC 2014

Hi All (apologies for any cross-posting),

I wanted to give folks a heads-up about CSV Conf, a one day event focused
on more geeky side of working with data, that will take place in Berlin the
day before Open Knowledge Festival.

Rufus

CSV,Conf 2014

Berlin, July 15

For Data Makers Everywhere

http://csvconf.com/

Announcing CSV,Conf - the conference for data makers
everywhere<http://csvconf.com/>which takes place on 15
July 2014 in Berlin.

This one day conference will focus on practical, real-world stories,
examples and techniques of how to scrape, wrangle, analyze, and
visualizedata. Whether
your data is big or small, tabular or spatial, graphs or rows this event is
for you.
Key Info

   - Where: Kalkscheune, Berlin, Germany
   - When: 15 July 2014, all day
   - Web: http://csvconf.com/
   - Register: http://register.csvconf.com/
   - Submit a talk: http://csvconf.com/#help (Deadline: Midnight 16th May)

CSV,Conf is run in conjunction with the week long Open Knowledge
Festival<http://okfestival.org/>
.
What Is It About? Building Community

We want to bring together data makers/doers/hackers from backgrounds like
science, journalism, open government and the wider software industry to
share tools and stories.
For those who love data

CSV Conf is a non-profit community conference run by some folks who really
love data and sharing knowledge. If you are as passionate about data and
the application it has to society then you should join us!
Big and small

This isn’t a conference just about spreadsheets. We are curating content
about advancing the art of data collaboration, from putting your CSV on
GitHub to producing meaningful insight by running large scale distributed
processing.
Colophon: Why CSV?

This conference isn’t just about CSV <http://data.okfn.org/doc/csv> data.
But we chose to call it CSV Conf because we think CSV embodies certain
important qualities that set the tone for the event:

   - Simplicity: CSV is incredibly simple - perhaps the simplest structured
   data format there is
   - Openness: the CSV ‘standard’ is well-known and open - free for anyone
   to use
   - Easy to use: CSV is widely supported - practically every spreadsheet
   program, relational database and programming language in existence can
   handle CSV in some form or other
   - Hackable: CSV is text-based and therefore amenable to manipulation and
   access from a wide range of standard tools (including revision control
   systems such as git, mercurial and subversion)
   - Big or small: CSV files can range from under a kilobyte to gigabytes
   and its line-oriented structure mean it can be incrementally processed –
   you do not need to read an entire file to extract a single row.